Franklin General Hospital

Your trusted healthcare partner for life

Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

History of FGH

1910
Drs. J.C. Powers and C. Osborne of Hampton purchased one of the first private hospitals in Franklin County.

1913
The two doctors realized the need for a modern hospital facility to accommodate the growing numbers of patients. They approached Reverend Otto VonGemmingen and the Pastor of the old Beeds Lake Zion Lutheran Church, to propose that the Lutherans organize an association. By September, the association agreed to build a hospital in Hampton.

1914
Construction began in December. The site was near the business portion of the city, which today is the Hampton Senior Center. It was not until August of 1915 that the Lutheran Hospital in Hampton was completed.

1917
After three year, multiple doctors bought the old Powers and Osborne hospital and remodeled it into a new clinic for their practice. It opened that October.

1930
Patients numbers increased over 1,000 with over 500 operations. Births in the hospital started on the rise with 100 babies born by 1931.

1956
The hospital Auxiliary organization started as it included 100 members, as today there are over 250 men and women involved.

1959
Board of Directors voted for improvements to the hospital, which passed. This included updating equipment and remodeling some of the patient rooms.

1963
Official transfer of the Lutheran Hospital in Hampton was complete. The facility would now be known as Franklin General Hospital. The remodel increased the bed capacity to 43.

1967
The counties health needs were increasing. The need for a new hospital was evident. County voters approved to build a new hospital east of Hampton on Highway 3.

1971
The new Franklin General Hospital opened its doors. This was a one story 92-bed hospital. A combination of acute, skilled nursing and intermediate care beds were available. The combination of rooms varied for a period of time, eventually becoming 40 acute and 52 intermediate care beds.

1976
A clinic was constructed adjacent to the hospital with Dr. Keith Hansen and Dr. Dave Wilson operating the clinic. Today this is the as Iowa Public Health Clinic.

1980
The former Lutheran Hospital, located downtown, was converted and remodeled into a 73 bed nursing home, today this is the Hampton Senior Center.

1985
A contract was signed with St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Mason City, a division of Sister of Mercy Health Corporation, to provide management control of Franklin General Hospital.

1992
Franklin General Hospital Foundation was implemented.

1993
Franklin Medical Center Inc. opened a satellite clinic in Dows, IA.

1996
Franklin Medical Center Inc. opened a satellite clinic in Latimer, IA

1998
FGH developed a Cooperative Services agreement with Franklin County Public Health.

1999
Franklin General Hospital partners with Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa in Mason City, Iowa. This relationship enhances the capability to integrate a health care system to provide quality primary care to the residents of Franklin County and beyond. FGH also signed a collaborative agreement with ABCM to build an attached assisted living complex.

2000
Groundbreaking of the Franklin Prairie Apartments was in October. Franklin Medical Center Inc. changed its name to Franklin Medical Center.

2001
The Franklin Prairie Apartments was completed and open.

2002
Franklin Medical Center opens a satellite clinic in Dumont, IA.

2006
FGH Nursing Facility remodel project started. The start process of the master facility plan for the future remodel of the hospital took place.

2008
FGH Implemented Electronic Health records. The Nursing Facility remodel was completed.

2009
Groundbreaking of construction of the new facility begins. This is a three year project and will be completed by July of 2012. Some additions includes, Administration/Business office, Physical Therapy, Cardiac Rehab, private patient rooms on medical surgical, & ambulance garage. These facility improvements will provide more space and privacy for patients and staff.

2012
Hospital renovation was completed. In addition to the updates included in the Master Facility Plan, it included remodeling and updating the cafeteria.

©  2014 

Franklin General Hospital | 1720 Central Avenue East | Hampton, Iowa 50441 | 641-456-5000

Connect with us