Kossuth Regional Health Center recognizes the following patient rights and responsibilities:
- All patients have the right to be treated with kind and considerate care at all times.
- Patients can expect reasonable safety at Kossuth Regional Health Center, and to be free of physical, verbal, sexual or mental abuse.
- Patients have rights concerning the use of individually identifiable health information, according to a federal law named the “Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act” (HIPAA). View our Privacy Practices in full.
- Patients have the right to request exclusion from the hospital directory. Patients who are included on the directory will be able to receive deliveries of cards and flowers sent to that patient. The patient’s name will appear on a list for clergy members of his or her faith (if applicable).
- All patients have the right to be informed of alternative treatments and to choose among the alternatives, including the right to refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law, and to be informed of the medical consequences of their actions. All patients are responsible for their own actions if they refuse treatment or do not follow the doctor's recommendations.
- All patients have the right to every consideration of privacy concerning their medical care program. Patients are responsible for being considerate of the privacy of other patients. Telephones, televisions, radios and lights should be used in a manner agreeable to others.
- All patients have the right to continuity of care, transfer, and consultation with other medical specialties.
- All patients have the right to examine and receive an explanation of their bill, regardless of the source of payment. Patients have the responsibility to provide information necessary for claim processing and to be prompt in payment of their bills.
- All patients have the right to know the rules and regulations that apply to patient care and conduct and are responsible for following those rules and regulations.
- All patients have a right to receive an explanation of their treatment program and to ask for further clarification if the course of treatment is not understood.
- Patients have the responsibility to cooperate in their treatment program.
Additional patient rights and responsibilities are available in the Guest Services folder in the inpatient rooms of Kossuth Regional Health Center.