The term "auxiliary" can be defined "to offer help, assistance or support." This is exactly what we do. When you volunteer your services at Franklin General Hospital, you demonstrate a desire to contribute toward making the patients more comfortable and better served. In so doing, you are helping the staff of the hospital.
Franklin General Hospital is fortunate to have 264 active volunteers who generously donate time, talents and money as members of the FGH Auxiliary. The Franklin General Hospital Auxiliary was established in 1957 to further the aims and objectives of the hospital. Under the leadership of Mrs. Elmer Miller, the auxiliary’s first president, and women from all parts of the county, the Auxiliary was organized with 128 charter members who paid $1 annual dues.
Over the past four decades, Auxiliary members have volunteered hundreds of hours to assist the hospital in various ways, including, but not limited to the following:
- Redecorating the Emergency Entrance waiting area, the public restrooms in the front lobby and the administrator's office
- Deliver mail and flowers
- Serve as receptionists for out-patient clinics
- Distribute magazines to lounges
- Staff the gift shop
- Made baby hats
- Birthday parties
- Health Screenings and education
- Hope Tree
- Balloons for new residents
- Home sewing for gift shop
- Mending hospital linens
- Decorating rooms and lobby during the holidays
- Landscaping, beautifying grounds with flowers
- Bloodmobile, calling nurses, serving as greeters, etc.
- Provide entertainment, crafts and bingo for Nursing Facility residents.
- Sunday afternoon hostesses (information)
- Assist with Hospital Week activities
- Rent out baby restraint seats
- Bridge and 500 Marathons
- Sponsor and provide volunteers for Reach Out & Read
- Mammogram pillows
- Cookie Walk
- Attend IHA's Legislative Day
While Auxiliary members donate many hours of service to the hospital, they also provide significant financial contributions to FGH. The Auxiliary has contributed more than $140,000. Most recent projects include equipment for the beauty shop, landscaping in Gazebo and Eagle Park, Hope tree and lights, TV and recliner for doctor sleep rooms, TV for Nursing Facility activity room, and a grill.
While the Auxiliary generates funds from membership dues and the gift shop, they also raise money through special events and other various projects. Fund-raisers have included: salad- luncheon, bakeless bake sales, Hope Tree, card marathon and Greimann Brothers train at the county fair.
Another fund-raising goal of the Auxiliary is to provide scholarships for those entering the medical health field. Since 1961, they have held bridge and "500" marathons to award $2,500 per year in scholarship money to high school seniors. The FGH Auxiliary has made it possible to award several scholarships each year. Use link on left for a complete description of scholarships and application forms.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Providing leadership, ideas and guidance for fundraising events
- Planning and coordinating Quick & Easy Holiday Ideas
- Assisting in various capacities with the local blood drives
- A variety of other activities
Volunteers are an essential part of Franklin General Hospital. Volunteers offer a helping hand in many areas of the hospital. They greet at the front door clinic, help prepare mailings and help NF activities and hospital week. A volunteer Application is available here.
The Auxiliary is a non-profit organization. Members are people just like you who wish to support programs that benefit Franklin General Hospital. Membership is open to any person interested in promoting and improving the services of Franklin General Hospital through contributions of time, talents and money. There are four types of memberships:
Active Member - Annual dues of $6.00 for general or $4.00 for senior. This includes participation in active service programs of the Auxiliary
Contributing (Inactive Member) - Annual dues of $25.00, which relieves the member of Auxiliary activities or any responsibility/participation that is required
Senior Citizen (Inactive Member) – Annual dues of $4.00, which relieves the member of Auxiliary activities or any responsibility/participation that is required
Active Life Members - One-time fee of $150.00 and optional participation in active service programs of the Auxiliary